Sunday, February 3, 2013

Alone Time With God

Matthew 6:6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
Do you have a special place (prayer closet) to spend with God?
My favorite place to pray is in my daughters bedroom. That may sound strange but her room is the darkest room in our house. When I go into her room to pray the only light I leave on is her fish tank light. It becomes a very peaceful escape from the rest of the world. It's a place where I suddenly feel my blood pressure start dropping & feel the presence of God surround me.
When I pray in her room, I kneel down right in front of the fish tank so that the light shines on my bible.
Last week as I prayed to God, I was lost for words. It seemed that I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Everything seemed to be going wrong. I was crying out (actually just groaning) to God & praying silently for him to just listen to my heart through my cries. I opened my bible & started reading in Romans.
Through Romans 8:26 God spoke to me. The spirit helps us in our weakness. He intercedes with us through groaning that words can not expressed. As soon as I read this verse, my tears begin to stop and all of a sudden words begin to come to my mind that I wanted to pray about. All of my frustration went away & I was able to fix my eyes on the Lord again. I had allowed myself to get so worked up that day about stuff. None that even matter in the big picture. Such little stuff that today I can't even remember what I was so upset about.
As mothers, we get so tired & frustrated about STUFF! We work ourselves into a mess. When all we have to do is keep our eyes fixed on the Lord & we will be able to stand firmly on his promises. Rest in the word given to us in Romans 8. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
As a mom of 4, I have to remind myself daily to keep my eyes fixed on God. (nothing else really matters) If I solely trust him, he will meet all my needs. 
I urge you this morning to find a special place to spend some time alone with God. Even if you don't have the words to pray, just meditate on his love & the promise of eternal life with him when this old world comes to an end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment